Ingredients for Potato Harra
600 g new potatoes (cut as above)
2 tablespoons of Onion (finely chopped)
1 clove Garlic (minced)
2 Green chillies (cut finely) / chilli flakes – I prefer the chilli flakes
Red Pepper - 1 (optional – I usually don’t use pepper)
¼ cup dhania (Cilantro or Fresh Coriander) leaves (finely chopped)
2 pinches of dhania seeds powdered
1 pinch black or white pepper
Salt - To taste
Lemon juice to dress
Olive oil – to Saute and braise (about 3 tablespoons worth)
Method:1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Cut the potatoes to around 1 inch cubes - note that there is nothing stopping you from cutting the potatoes into traditional chips - just be aware that they may break anyway.
3. Parboil the potatoes in salted water and drain - potatoes must be firm.
4. Place in a bowl, add olive oil. Toss to coat all ingredients.
5. Place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper or greased with spray and cook.
6. Place in oven for about 15 minutes or until tender and firm, turning over halfway during the cooking time (does not need to go golden as the we will pan fry them in the next step – the potatoes must be cooked through with the outsides still firm so that it doesn’t turn into mash when you braise them).
7. Heat the olive oil in pan and sauté the onions, garlic, green chillies/chilli flakes, dhania powder and red pepper (if you chose to use them), until the onions are translucent and the peppers soft. Be careful not to burn the spices
8. Add potatoes, salt and pepper, finely chopped dhania and the lime juice. Serve warm.