- A loaf of old bread
- Butter (enough to butter your bread on both sides)
- 1 jar nutella
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 500 ml milk
- 4-5 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- nutmeg & vanilla essence
- Cut the crusts of the bread and liberally spread nutella on one slice of bread and butter on the other. Sprinkle some almonds over the nutella.Sandwhich together
- cut of the crusts, spread butter on the outside of the "sandwhich".
- Continue until all the bread has been used up.
- Cut the sandwhiches into triangular quarters and arrange in an oven proof dish.
- Beat together eggs, sugar and milk. Season with some nutmeg and pour over the bread until it is well saturated with the liquid.
Note: I dont like the eggy smell, so I often use a bit of vanilla in the egg custard. This is up to you.
- Liberally dot the dish with dollops of butter (it is a bread and butter pudding after all) and sprinkle with a generous handful of almonds.
- Bake in and oven (180 degrees celcius) for 20 mintues, until golden.
- Dust with icing sugar or castor sugar, pop back into oven to partially caramelise the sugar, being careful not to burn the pudding.